Student Visas


  • The Minister of Immigration has announced major changes to the student visa framework. Starting from 1 July 2016 the number of student visa subclasses will be reduced from eight to two: the subclass 500 (Student) visa & subclass 509 (Student Guardian) visa. The subclass 500 visa will now be used to apply for all Australian courses. This new  visa system has been labelled: the SSVF (Simplified Student Visa Framework). At this stage most migration agents are still examining and interpreting changes to the associated  Migration Act and Regulations. An initial look shows, in the main, a similarity with past regulations and policy. Notably though there are some changes associated with conditions attached to the new student visa, including changes to work rights. Requirements still however centre on a person having: a genuine desire to undertake the course; means to fund their course and stay; appropriate language skills for the course; and, certified enrolment in an approved course. Au Visas will keep you informed.


In light of the above, the following information only relates to subclasses available until 1 July 2016. After this date, access to these subclasses will close.

Student Visas 

There are seven subclasses (types) of student visas and one subclass for student guardians. Student visas allow you to stay in Australia up to 28 days after the duration of your course. They also allow limited work rights.

The range of student subclasses covers a large range of courses, including: English language; Senior High School, Vocational/Trade/Training; and, University courses (both undergraduate and graduate).

Students need to meet character, health/health cover, English language, financial capacity, and educational requirements. Further, only accredited courses provided by a registered Australian Education Provider will be considered. You can sometimes incorporate more than one course on the same visa.

The main student visa subclasses are:

  • Subclass 570 (Independent ELICOS Sector)
  • Subclass 571 (Schools Sector)
  • Subclass 572 (Vocational Education & Training Sector)
  • Subclass 573 (Higher Education Sector)
  • Subclass 574 (Postgraduate Research Sector)
  • Subclass 575 (Non-award Sector)
  • Subclass 578 (Student Guardian) [for the Guardian of a dependent student]

To be eligible for a student visa you must have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) Certificate. This is issued after applying for and being accepted into an approved course. When you have a CoE you can apply for a student visa. A visa application will not be accepted without a CoE.

Your married or de facto partner, and/or dependent children may be included in your visa application. These secondary applicants must meet specified criteria. You will need to show you have enough funds to cover your travel to and from Australia; course fees; and, living expenses.

Student visas usually allow you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight to help supplement your living expenses.

Au Visas may be contacted for help with a student visa enquiry or application by ringing us on (+61) 404329709 or submitting an enquiry via our Enquiry / Consultation Bookings form on our Contact Us page.