GSM (Threshold Criteria and GSM Points Test)
At the time a person is invited to lodge a subclass 189, 190 or 489 visa application they must meet the following threshold criteria:
- be less than 50 years old
- have a positive skills occupation on the relevant skills occupation list
- have not less than competent English or, be a passport holder from Ireland, England, Canada, New Zealand or the US
- have a pass mark on the GSM point test (60 as at April 2016).
GSM Points Test
- 18-24 = 25 points
- 25-32 = 30
- 33-39 = 25
- 40-44 = 15
- 45-49 = 0
- Competent IELTS 6 (min)/OET B = 0 points;
- Proficient IELTS 7 (min)/OET B = 10
- Superior IELTS 8 (min)/OET A = 20
Australian or overseas skilled employment in nominated occupation or a closely related occupation in the past 10 years:
- At least one year in Australia (in past 10 yrs) = 5
- At least three years in Australia (in past 10 yrs) = 10
- At least five years in Australia (in past 10 yrs) = 15
- At least eight years in Australia (in past 10 yrs) = 20
- At least three years overseas (in past 10 yrs) = 5
- At least five years overseas (in past 10 yrs) = 10
- At least eight years overseas (in past 10 yrs) = 15
(Note: Maximum points that can be awarded for any combination of Australian or overseas skilled employment is 20 points)
Qualifications at the time of invitation (Australian or recognised overseas):
- Diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia or an award of a recognised standard = 10
- At least a Bachelors Degree (or with honours) or Masters, from Australia or a degree of a recognised standard = 15
- Doctorate from an Australian Institute or a Doctorate of a recognised standard = 20
Australian Study requirement:
- One or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications awarded by an Australian institution. Australian study requirement minimum 2 years full-time = 5
Study in a regional area:
- Study in regional Australia (min 2 yrs full-time) = 5
- Completed recognised Professional Year (12 months) in 4 years immediately prior to the day of invitation by DIBP = 5
Credentialed Community Language:
- Community language qualification (NAATI accredited) = 5
- Primary applicant’s partner meets threshold requirements for skilled migration visa = 5
Nominated by state/territory govt (Permanent Visa, sc 190 only):
- Nomination by a state or territory government = 5
Designated area sponsorship or nominated by state/territory govt (Provisional Visa, sc 489 only):
- Nominated by a state or territory government or sponsored by an eligible relative, for residing and working in a specified /designated area = 10
- Adding all the applicable points for your situation will give your GSM Points Test Score. This score must be 60 points or above (as at April 2016).
- To find the relevant skills assessment body for your occupation look up the DIBP website or ask AU Visas: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IELTS assessment centres can be found at www.ielts.org.
- An IELTS assessment is not required for citizens of Ireland, England, New Zealand, USA or Canada. These passport holders are assumed to have competent English, though they may gain additional points if assessed in an IELTS test as having proficient or superior English. A person’s IELTS score is the lowest mark in any of the four test components (reading, writing, speaking and listening). The IELTS score is not the average score of each component. IELTS is one of a number of the tests that can be used for language assessment for GSM. For other acceptable English tests please Contact Us.
Back to the SkillSelect System page.
Back to Home page.
To make an enquiry fill out our Enquiry form or email Au Visas: email@example.com.